Webinar Event: True Cost of Leadership Webinar and Addressing Learning Loss

April 15, 2021

On April 15th Dr. Trent Grundmeyer of Drake University and Susan Gentz of K20Connect discussed the True Cost of Leadership. Michael Jordan recently stated in the Last Dance that, "Winning has a price, and leadership has a price."

COVID-19 has forced some pretty big changes in education quickly, and administrators and educators are having to make hard decisions. Learn how to balance the risk and reward of making the hard decisions.

Download the Webinar Slides here.

In this webinar, we discussed the True Cost of Leadership as it relates to school leaders, how to best prepare current and aspiring school leaders, and the funding opportunities from the American Rescue Act that exist to support these efforts, including supporting learning loss.

For example:

  • LEAs are required to use at least 20% of the funds they receive ($22 billion) to address lost learning time for students. They will have the freedom to spend the remaining 80% ($87.8 billion) of funding based on local needs and priorities.
  • States must use at least 5% of their Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief (ESSER) funding “to address learning loss by supporting the implementation of evidence-based interventions, such as summer learning, extended day, comprehensive afterschool programs, or extended school year programs, and ensure such interventions respond to students’ academic, social, and emotional needs.
  • The ARPA provides LEAs with nearly $110 billion through a single program (ESSER fund) with a great deal of flexibility. This includes stabilizing and diversifying the educator workforce and rebuilding the educator pipeline. Professional development is a critical use for these funds.
  • Just because Congress allocated funds doesn’t mean automatic systemic change. These funds must be thoughtfully and carefully planned to help students graduate on time and be ready for the future workforce. These plans and decisions are not always met with cheers and applause, but with pushback and challenges.

Interested in Learning More? Request a Demonstration or Pricing

SchoolSims provides a powerful and affordable way to deliver highly effective leadership training. Current and aspiring school leaders are offered a chance to experience real-life scenarios that depict true events but in a simulated setting. Since there aren’t always right or wrong answers when it comes to human behavior, experimentation is encouraged within the simulation as there is no way to fail. Participants practice critical thinking and are encouraged to discuss the reasons behind their choices which allows for peer-to-peer learning. Watch this simulation to learn more about the efficacy of simulated learning for K-12 leaders, click here.

When confronted with challenging situations, school leaders sift through their past experiences searching for relevant instances from which to draw knowledge. If learning from your mistakes is the best way to experience growth, how do we provide these learning experiences to current and aspiring leaders?

At SchoolSims, we have created the solution by providing manufactured experiences through online, software simulations that assist in growing current and aspiring school leaders. Simulations can be facilitated in-person or through any online meeting service. When gathering in groups is discouraged or not possible, online simulation training can be safely and effectively deployed.